Tuesday 15 September 2009

ALTERED BOOK/JOURNAL

Was introduced to the altered book idea many years ago now and I fell in love with it instantly. Didn't want to keep a diarised journal, but wanted somewhere to jot down the contents of my head so ...... combined the two! This was where my interest in the therapeutic benefits of art/creativity originated. It was so liberating to pour myself onto my pages without self censorship. Interestingly the journal started out quite light and fluffy but in the later pages, became dark and menacing! Not quite sure what that says about me...
The niche was the first one I ever did - and there began my love of all thinks sunk, hidden and layered. Loved the little bottles. Undercrackers was a homage to my Mum who used to force herself into these undergarments of torture when I was a child. How did they ever endure such discomfort?! Its beyond me.  Hitching A Ride was assembled around the photo image which I just loved. Not sure what made me chop her in half but maybe it was symbolic of not knowing which way she wanted to go?!]
Haven't journalled for some years now, but flicking through these pages made me think I'd like to take it up again. I can't tell you how many empty books I have, all waiting to be filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for visiting and sharing your thoughts